City of Winder
|Address||90 N. Broad Street
Winder, Georgia 30680
The City of Winder, the county seat of Barrow County, was originally a settlement that was called “Jug Tavern”. According to sources, Winder was named for notable railroad builder and manager, John H. Winder and was incorporated in 1893.
The Barrow County Museum is located in the old Barrow County Jail (circa 1915). This Gothic Revival building, features a hanging tower and jail cells. Located in the center of the town, the museum also offers a special collection on Senator Richard B. Russell and other photos and displays related to the county’s history. One mile south of Winder is Fort Yargo State Park, an 1,850-acre park with tennis, swimming, hiking, fishing, boating, golfing, and picnicking.