City of Tifton
|Incorporated||December 29, 1890|
|Address||PO Box 229|
Tifton, Georgia 31793
Tifton, the county seat of Tift County, was incorporated as a city December 29, 1890, eighteen years after its settlement. The city was originally named Lena for the daughter of the sawmill owner, Henry Tift. One day a worker placed a sign saying “Tifton” and the name stuck.
Tifton is also home of the Agrirama, developed by the Georgia Department of Agriculture in 1976. It is Georgia’s Living History Museum with all the aspects of historical pioneer towns.