Choose another Topic

City of Smyrna


Incorporated1872
Population51,271
Address2800 King Street
Smyrna, Georgia 30081
Phone(770) 434-6600
Fax
Email
Websitehttp://www.smyrnacity.com/
CountyCobb
Description

Smyrna, the “Jonquil City,” has a long and colorful history. Smyrna was first known as Ruffs Siding and later Varners Station. Eventually, the name Smyrna was given to the campground area. The name “Smyrna” is found in the Bible’s book of Revelation as the name of one of Paul the Apostle’s seven churches in Asia.The railroad once played a fairly significant role in Smyrna’s development. In 1836 the construction of a railroad began through Cobb County, and by the date of completion in 1842, the railroad had started Smyrna on its change from a frontier village to a growing community. The railroad helped establish the permanent location of the city and provided work for the townspeople. Gristmills and factories were also established in the 1840’s. These mills and factories played a prominent role in the early growth of the community.