City of Quitman
|Incorporated||December 19, 1859|
100 West Screven Street
Quitman, Georgia 31643
Quitman, incorporated December 19, 1859, is the county seat of Brooks County. The city was named in honor of General John A. Quitman, who served under Zachary Taylor as a soldier and later enjoyed a successful career in politics.
The courthouse in Brooks County was built in 1859 and extensively remodeled in 1892. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.