City of Porterdale
|Address||P. O. Box 667
Porterdale, Georgia 30070
In 1830, the town now known as Porterdale was merely a large cotton patch on the shoals of the Yellow River, three miles south of Covington, Georgia. Part of the settlement had been in Henry and Rockdale counties. Because of the many cedar trees that grew along the banks of the river, the settlement adopted the name Cedar Shoals.
Cedar Shoals was incorporated as a town in 1917. The voters of the district voted on March 10, 1917, to incorporate the town and Judge Charles W. Smith recorded it on March 19, 1917. It was given the name Porterdale after Porterdale Mills, Inc. and Oliver S. Porter.