Choose another Topic

City of Oxford


Incorporated1839
Population2134
Address110 W. Clark Street
Oxford, Georgia 30054
Phone(770) 786-7004
Fax(770) 786-2211
Emailstaff@cityofoxfordga.com
Websitehttp://oxfordgeorgia.org/
CountyNewton
Description

The town, named Oxford in honor of John and Charles Wesley’s alma mater in England, was chartered in 1839. The town was designed by Edward Lloyd Thomas, a Methodist minister and surveyor. Its 125 lots were offered on a 999 year lease with the provision that ‘no intoxicating liquors shall be sold nor any game of hazard be allowed on the lots under penalty of forfeiture.’ These lots were later sold for private ownership. The original streets were all named for notable Methodists. More than twenty 19th century buildings and sites related to Methodism are still standing and can be seen on this tour.