City of Nahunta
|Incorporated||July 28, 1925|
|Address||P.O. Box 156
Nahunta, Georgia 31553
Nahunta, the county seat of Brantley County, was incorporated on July 28, 1925. There are numerous explanations concerning the origin of the city’s name. Some say it is derived from the Iroquoian “nahunta”, meaning tall trees, while others say the name is colloquialism derived from railroad maps and a sign, “N.A. Hunter Siding”.
The historic Mumford House, which is also on the National Register is located in Nahunta. The site located behind the famous Mumford House is a Confederate gravesite.