City of Monroe
|Address||227 S. Broad Street
Monroe, Georgia 30655
Monroe, located in the heart of Walton County, was established as the county seat in 1821. The city is also proud of their nickname, “City of Governors”, because of the four Georgia governors the city has produced. Monroe was named after the fifth U.S. President, James Monroe.
The fully restored Walton County courthouse is the center of Monroe’s Historic District. Located in this district is the Davis Edwards House, listed on the National Registry, that is an 1845 Greek Revival house with period furnishings and a brick kitchen.