City of Milledgeville
|Incorporated||December 12, 1804|
|Address||119 E. Hancock Street
Milledgeville, Georgia 31061
Milledgeville is the county seat of Baldwin County and the only municipality in the county. The city was incorporated and became one of the state’s earlier capitals on December 12, 1804. The city was home to the state offices until 1867, when they were moved to Atlanta. The city was named for Governor John Milledge, who donated land to the University of Georgia.
In 1803, the city was laid out and designated as the state capital in 1804. Milledgeville holds the distinction of being the only city ever designed for the purpose of being a state capital.