City of McRae-Helena
|Incorporated||March 3, 1874|
|Address||301 N. 1st Avenue
McRae-Helena, Georgia 31055
From the McRae-Helena city website:
The City of Helena was chartered on December 27, 1890. The City of McRae was chartered on March 3, 1874. The two cities existed side-by-side for more than a century. At the end of 2013, the two cities began to discuss the possibility of a merger. The respective City Councils adopted a joint resolution to pursue a merger in November 2013. On April 10, 2014, Governor Nathan Deal signed HB 967 which incorporated the City of McRae-Helena.
On January 1, 2015, the two cities officially consolidated to become the City of McRae-Helena. This created the first merged city in Georgia since 1921.
Since the merger, the City of McRae-Helena has been designated as a “Four for the Future” City by the University of Georgia Public Service Outreach and Georgia Trend Magazine.