City of Madison
|Incorporated||March 12, 1866|
|Address||132 N. Main Street
Madison, Georgia 30650
Madison, the county seat of Morgan County, was incorporated March 12, 1866. The city was named in honor of former U.S. President James Madison.
Madison has the largest designated historic district in Georgia that encompasses most of the town. During the Civil War, Sherman’s Army spared Madison destruction because it was the home of pro-Union Senator Joshua Hill.
The Morgan County courthouse in Madison, built in 1905, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This recently refurbished courthouse is often used as a filming site.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Madison had a population of 3,636 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 4.4%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.