City of Lumpkin
|Incorporated||March 30, 1829|
|Address||Martin Luther King Dr.
Lumpkin, Georgia 31815
Lumpkin, incorporated March 30, 1829, is the county seat for Stewart County. The city was named in honor of Wilson Lumpkin, a two-term governor of Georgia, U.S. Congressman and Senator. He was a leading advocate of state rights and “Indian Removal.”
The courthouse in Stewart County was constructed in 1896 and burned in 1922. The courthouse was rebuilt in 1923 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Providence Canyon Conservation Park, located in Lumpkin is a collection of canyons and gullies. The largest of these is “Grandfather Canyon,” which is a half mile long, 300 feet wide and 150 feet deep. The 1,061-acre park also has the largest natural collection of the rare “Plumleaf Azalea” in the world.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Lumpkin had a population of 1,369 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 8.1%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.