City of Ludowici
|Incorporated||August 23, 1905|
|Address||23 Main Street
Ludowici, Georgia 31316
Ludowici, pronounced “Loo’duh-wee’-see”, is the county seat for Long County. Incorporated August 23, 1905, the city was named in honor of William Ludowici, a German immigrant, who contributed substantially to the construction of the county high school. The city is the county’s only incorporated area.
The Long County courthouse in Ludowici was constructed in 1926 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Also on the National Registry is the Ludowici Well Pavilion. This well was built in 1907 and provided public drinking water for many years.
The Ludowici Brick and Tile Company employed hundreds of people in the early 20th century. The company produced the Ludowici tile, a distinctive clay roofing material, that was popular among contractors in Florida at that time. There are a number of homes in the city that still display these distinctive roofs.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Ludowici had a population of 1,440 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 11.5%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.