City of Lexington
|Incorporated||November 24, 1806|
|Address||223 W. Main Street
Lexington, Georgia 30648
Lexington, incorporated November 24, 1806, is the county seat of Oglethorpe County. The city was named for the town in Massachusetts where the first Revolutionary War battle took place. In the very heart of Lexington stands the Oglethorpe County courthouse. Constructed in 1887, this Romanesque Revival structure, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was renovated during the 1990s. It is the oldest courthouse among only fifteen remaining courthouses of this architectural style remaining in Georgia.
There is a walking tour of the town that includes numerous historical buildings and homes. The Joseph Lumpkin House, circa 1790, is the oldest documented house and the home of the first chief justice of the Georgia Supreme Court. The Lexington Presbyterian Cemetery contains the graves of prominent Georgia politicians: George Rockingham Gilmer, a governor of Georgia; Wilson Lumpkin, also a governor of the state; and Joseph Henry Lumpkin, a founder of the Lumpkin School of Law at the University of Georgia.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Lexington had a population of 239 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population decrease of -9.8%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.