City of Jonesboro
|Incorporated||December 13, 1859|
124 N. Avenue
Jonesboro, Georgia 30236
Jonesboro, the county seat for Clayton County, was incorporated as a town December 13, 1859. The city was originally called Leaksville. When the railroad passed through the city, it was renamed in honor of Captain Samuel G. Jones, one of the line’s surveyors.
Clayton County courthouse in Jonesboro, built in 1898, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Battle of Jonesboro marked the end of the Atlanta Campaign during the Civil War. When Federal troops seized control of the railroad in Jonesboro, all supplies to Atlanta were cut off.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Jonesboro had a population of 3,829 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 5.3%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.