City of Jeffersonville
|Address||200 Church Street N.
Jeffersonville, Georgia 31044
Jeffersonville, the county seat of Twiggs County, was named for President Thomas Jefferson. Originally called Rain’s Store, Jeffersonville became a city in 1828.
The Twiggs County courthouse was built around 1903 and renovated in 1979. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was originally designed by J.W. Golucke, who designed a dozen or more courthouses in Georgia. The courthouse is currently undergoing an extensive restoration that will be completed in 2000.
Jeffersonville and Danville are the only two incorporated municipalities in the county. Previously, Marion was the county seat; however, the residents refused to allow the railroad to run through it and the town soon became deserted.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Jeffersonville had a population of 1,209 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population decrease of -21.7%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.