City of Jefferson
|Incorporated||November 24, 1806|
|Address||147 Athens Street
Jefferson, Georgia 30549
Jefferson was designated the county seat of Jackson County on November 24, 1806. The city, named for President Thomas Jefferson, was the site of a previous Indian settlement. The site of the city was originally an Indian settlement named Thomocoggan. The city was then incorporated as Jeffersonville. Later, the name was changed to Jeffersonton and finally shortened to its current name on June 30, 1824. Dr. Crawford W. Long first used ether for surgery in Jefferson on March 30, 1842.
The Crawford W. Long Medical Museum was established to commemorate that monumental occurrence in the medical field. In addition, Crawford Long Days in November is a festival to celebrate his memory.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Jefferson had a population of 3,825 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 38.4%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.