City of Jasper
|Incorporated||December 22, 1857|
|Address||200 Burnt Mountain Road
Jasper, Georgia 30143
Jasper, the county seat of Pickens County, was incorporated as a town December 22, 1857. The city was named in honor of Sergeant William Jasper of South Carolina, who died during the siege of Savannah during the Revolutionary War.
In 1890, the marble courthouse in Jasper was where citizens of Pickens County raised a Union Flag to protest Georgia’s secession from the Union. The 1906 jail in Jasper has been restored and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The jail and other public buildings are faced with marble, Pickens’ major resource.
The Georgia Marble Festival, held the first weekend in October, is an opportunity for visitors to tour the pit marble quarries, watch sculptors make marble pieces of art, enjoy arts and crafts, and be entertained by mountain music and country clogging.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Jasper had a population of 2,167 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 22.3%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.