City of Homer
|Incorporated||December 19, 1859|
|Address||135 Highway 441 N.
Homer, Georgia 30547
Homer, the county seat of Banks County, was incorporated on December 19, 1859. The city was named after Homer Jackson, a prominent early settler.
The Banks County courthouse, in Homer, is one of the four oldest courthouses in Georgia. The courthouse was built between 1860 and 1863 and the county used it until 1987, when it was restored. Today it houses historic exhibits, the Banks Chamber of Commerce and the Welcome Center.
Another historical site is the Banks County Jail that was built circa 1864-1880. The jail is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and still has the cells, bars on the windows and the “hanging trap” door.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Homer had a population of 950 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 28.0%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.