City of Hamilton
|Incorporated||December 20, 1828|
|Address||210 Walton Street
Hamilton, Georgia 31811
Hamilton is the county seat of Harris County and was incorporated December 20, 1828. The city is believed to be named for James Hamilton, Jr., a governor of South Carolina. Mr. Hamilton is known for passing the Nullification Ordinance of 1832 and for leading the armed forces to defend states’ rights
Hamilton is the site of the Harris County Cattleman’s Rodeo in September. In April 1969, the city opened its town square as a museum of the 1870-1920 era and now the square is called “Hamilton on the Square”.
The city, during the late 19th century, was the home of B.F. White, who was important in the development of Sacred Heart singing. This form of music is a traditional form of Christian congregational music in which the human voice provides the only source of instrumentation.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Hamilton had a population of 307 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population decrease of -32.4%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.