City of Greensboro
|Incorporated||December 10, 1803|
|Address||1261 Willow Run Drive
Greensboro, Georgia 30642
Greensboro, the county seat of Greene County, was first chartered in 1786. The city, spelled Greensborough at the time, was the first town in America to be burned to the ground and its inhabitants killed by Native Americans. The city was later incorporated December 10, 1803. Greene County’s courthouse, constructed around 1848, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Other historic monuments include the Iron House, a massive 2,000-pound structure and the “Gaol”, a Bastille-like jail that is one of the oldest penal structures in Georgia.
Greensboro participates in the Better Hometown Program run by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs. This community development program is a public-private partnership intended to revitalize small communities with populations between 1,000 and 5,000. These cities have access to technical assistance and fiscal resources designed to stimulate downtown revitalization.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Greensboro had a population of 3,238 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 12.5%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%