City of Gray
|Incorporated||August 22, 1911|
|Address||109 James Road
Gray, Georgia 31032
Gray, the county seat of Jones County, was incorporated August 22, 1911. The town was first named James, in honor of U.S. Congressman James Henderson who owned property. Later the name was changed to honor James Madison Gray, a major financier of the Confederacy during the Civil War.
The Jones County courthouse, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is in Gray. This building, built in 1905, was restored and renovated in 1991. Adjacent to the courthouse is a park with picnic tables, gazebo and water fountain.
In Gray, there is an antique business in the town’s oldest house (circa 1900) that permits visitors to see original light fixtures and corner fireplaces of that time.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Gray had a population of 1,811 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population decrease of -17.3%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.