City of Fort Valley
|Incorporated||March 3, 1856|
|Address||204 W. Church Street
Fort Valley, Georgia 31030
Fort Valley, the county seat for Peach County, was incorporated March 3, 1856. Nicknamed “The Peach Center”, Fort Valley was settled by James Abingdon Everett who founded the city as an Indian trading post.
The city was first named “Fox Valley.” However, when the application was submitted to the postal authorities, the name was misread as “Fort Valley”. To this date, there has been no recorded account of the city having a fort.
The city is referred to as the Peach Capital of Georgia because of the number of peaches that are grown there. Fort Valley is also the birthplace of the famous Blue Bird School Buses.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Fort Valley had a population of 8,005 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population decrease of -2.4%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.