City of Forsyth
|Incorporated||December 10, 1823|
|Address||26 N. Jackson Street
Forsyth, Georgia 31029
Forsyth was incorporated and listed as the county seat of Monroe County, on December 10, 1823. Forsyth was named in honor of John Forsyth, who, as minister to Spain, negotiated the purchase of Florida in 1819.
One of the main attractions to the city is the Forsyth Commercial Historic District. This historical area includes the Courthouse Square and surrounding blocks of structures from the mid-to-late 1800s. Many of the structures are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This is also the site of the annual Forsythia Festival in the spring.
The Monroe County courthouse in Forsyth, constructed in 1896, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places District. Other city attractions include the Confederate Cemetery, listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Rum Creek Wildlife Management Area.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Forsyth had a population of 3,776 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population decrease of -10.5%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.