City of Fitzgerald
|Incorporated||December 2, 1896|
|Address||116 N. Johnston Street
Fitzgerald, Georgia 31750
Former Union soldiers founded the city of Fitzgerald, the county seat of Ben Hill County. The city was incorporated on December 2, 1896. The courthouse in Ben Hill County was constructed in 1909 and is listed under the National Register of Historic Places.
The Historic District on South Lee and South Main streets in Fitzgerald is listed on the National Register. The town’s streets are named for Union and Confederate generals. The old railroad depot is home to the Blue and Grey Museum of Civil War memorabilia.
East Central Technical Institute, a member of Georgia Department of Technical and Adult Education, is located in the City of Fitzgerald.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Fitzgerald had a population of 8,758 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population decrease of -1.6%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.