City of Ellaville
|Address||445 Wilson Street
Ellaville, Georgia 31806
Ellaville, the county seat for Schley County, was incorporated November 23, 1859. The city was named for Ella Burton, the daughter of the man who sold the land for the town site.
The county courthouse, built in 1899, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The clock tower, once known as the “Leaning Tower of Ellaville”, was straightened and reinforced in 1991.
The City of Ellaville’s water system is one of only two in the state, which use duckweed as a natural water filter instead of chemical.
Ellaville is the only incorporated municipality in Schley County. The residents of the county host a “Homecoming” weekend each April to welcome back people who have moved from the community. At Christmas, the county courthouse, water tower, and some store fronts are outlined in white lights that can be seen from U.S. 19.