City of Douglas
|Address||224 E. Bryan Street
Douglas, Georgia 31533
Douglas, the county seat of Coffee County, was incorporated in 1895. The city was named for Stephen A. Douglas, the South’s candidate for President against Lincoln in 1860.
Historic Sites in Douglas include the Coffee County Bank, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and the Veterans Memorial and Museum. There is also a driving tour of the downtown historical district of Douglas.
Events that take place in Douglas include the Heritage Farm Festival, Wings Over South Georgia Air Show and Pioneer Skills Day.
Douglas is home to South Georgia College, a two-year unit of the University System of Georgia, the state’s first publicly supported junior college.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Douglas had a population of 10,639 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 1.7%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.