City of Danielsville
|Address||P.O. Box 339
Danielsville, Georgia 30633
Danielsville, incorporated November 27, 1817, is the county seat for Madison County. The city was named for General Allen Daniel, an officer of the militia, who also served as captain in the Revolutionary War. The first public buildings stand on land donated by General Daniel. The Madison County courthouse, constructed in 1901, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The town grew around the courthouse, which was built in the Romanesque Revival style.
Dr. Crawford W. Long was born in Danielsville on November 1, 1815. Dr. Long introduced the use of ether as a surgical anesthetic, an event that has been described as one of the greatest in the history of medicine. There is a statue of Dr. Long on the courthouse square.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Danielsville had a population of 457 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 43.7%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.