City of Colquitt
|Incorporated||December 19, 1860|
|Address||208 West Pine Street|
Colquitt, Georgia 31737
Colquitt, incorporated December 19, 1860, is the county seat for Miller County. The city was named for U.S. Senator Walter Colquitt, who was previously a clergyman, attorney and judge. Colquitt is known as the “Mayhaw Capital of the World”. A Mayhaw is a small, red berry often used for jams and jellies.
Colquitt is the site of a 23-foot Red Oak tree that was carved into the head of an Indian brave. This monument, by sculptor Peter Toth, is dedicated to the memory of Native Americans. Also, the Native American and Early Pioneer Museum is located in Colquitt, with over 100,000 Native American artifacts.
Colquitt participates in the Better Hometown Program run by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs. This community development program is a public-private partnership intended to revitalize small communities with populations between 1,000 and 5,000. These cities have access to technical assistance and fiscal resources designed to stimulate downtown revitalization.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Colquitt had a population of 1,939 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population decrease of -2.6%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.