City of Cochran
|Incorporated||March 19, 1869|
|Address||108 NE Dyke Street
Cochran, Georgia 31014
Cochran was established as county seat of Bleckley County on March 19, 1869. The city was named for Arthur E. Cochran, president of the Macon and Brunswick Railroad, who was influential in the development of the county.
Middle Georgia College, located in Cochran, is a member of the University System of Georgia. This institute has been recognized as the oldest two-year college in America.
Throughout the year, Cochran holds numerous festivals and events. Every May, the people of Cochran join together for the Gum Swamp Festival and early in October, the Great Pumpkin Festival is held.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Cochran had a population of 4,455 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population decrease of -0.6%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.