City of Claxton
|Incorporated||July 28, 1911|
|Address||204 W. Railroad Avenue
Claxton, Georgia 30417
Claxton, the county seat of Evans County, was incorporated July 28, 1911. The city was named for Kate Claxton (1878-1924), a popular actress of the time.
The Evans County courthouse, located in Claxton, was built around the 1920s with the 20th Century Neoclassical design. This courthouse is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The City of Claxton is nicknamed the “Fruit Cake Capital of the World” due to the number of fruitcakes the Claxton Bakery produces each year. In addition, the city is home of one of the largest apiary (bee-keeping) and poultry industries in the state.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Claxton had a population of 2,276 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population decrease of -7.6%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.