City of Carnesville
|Incorporated||December 7, 1807|
|Address||9524 Lavonia Road
Carnesville, Georgia 30521
Carnesville, the county seat of Franklin County, was incorporated as a village December 7, 1807. The city was named for Judge Thomas Peter Carnes, a lawyer and Congressman of the Revolutionary War era.
Cromer’s Mill Covered Bridge (also known as Nail’s Creek Bridge) is located in Carnesville, south of the city. The bridge was built in 1906 and is 136 feet long with a town lattice design.
The Franklin County Historical Society Museum in Carnesville has exhibits on local history. The Franklin County courthouse in Carnesville was constructed in 1906 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Carnesville had a population of 541 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 5.3%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.