City of Camilla
|Incorporated||December 14, 1858|
|Address||30 E. Broad Street
Camilla, Georgia 31730
Camilla, the county seat of Mitchell County, was incorporated December 14, 1858. Mitchell County was created from the portion of Baker County east of the Flint River. The city was named for Camilla Mitchell, the daughter of General David Mitchell.
The present Mitchell County courthouse in Camilla, constructed in 1937, is renowned for its architecture and construction from beautiful white Georgia marble. The welcome center is in the restored Camilla Depot located at the intersection of US Highway 19 and Broad Street and is worth a visit by passersby and train watchers! Listed as one of the top tennis towns by Racquet Magazine, Camilla is home to the Camilla Pro Tennis Invitational Tournament each June. The James Price McRee House built in 1906, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is now home to McRee Hall Bed & Breakfast and Conference Center.
Camilla elected its first mayor in 1868, Mr. T.J. Butler. Years later on a return visit to Camilla, Mr. Butler recalled his administration saying, “The fine points of the law were ignored and a code of common sense substituted.” A historical recount of his administration included the following story: “The present Broad Street in 1868 was a wooden lane, a few of the virgin pines had been cut away for lumber, leaving the stumps which had to be uprooted to open up the main street of town. Mayor Butler inaugurated among the boys a “stumping contest”, into which he injected more interest by contributing dimes to the boys who led in uprooting the greatest number of stumps. He gave the dimes from his own pockets as there was no money yet in the town treasury.”
According to 2000 Census, the City of Camilla had a population of 5,669 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 10.6%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.