City of Calhoun
|Address||Newtown Loop Road
Calhoun, Georgia 30701
Calhoun, the county seat of Gordon County, was incorporated in January 1852. The city was named for Senator John Calhoun, famous statesman and prominent figure in the states’ rights movement.
Calhoun was previously known as Dawsonville for the owner of a general store in the area. The Native Americans called their village (in the same location) Oothcaloga, Ustanali and New Echota. The village of New Echota, which once served as the capital of the Cherokee Nation, was the birthplace of the written Cherokee language and the newspaper, The Cherokee Phoenix.
Today this site is the New Echota Cherokee Capitol Historic Site, which has several original and reconstructed buildings including the Supreme Courthouse. There are two festivals in Calhoun each year. The Cherokee Fall Festival is held at the New Echota State Historic Site in late October and the Red Clay Hill Arts and Crafts Festival is held in early November.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Calhoun had a population of 10,667 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 49.5%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.