City of Butler
|Incorporated||February 8, 1854|
12 Cedar Street
Butler, Georgia 31006
Butler, the county seat of Taylor County, was incorporated on February 8, 1854; however, the charter for the town was not received until 1870. Butler was named for General William Orlando Butler, a distinguished hero of the Mexican War.
The Taylor County courthouse was built in 1935 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The courthouse’s bell tower was restored in 1995.
The Countryside Festival is held annually in the heart of downtown Butler. The festival includes an arts and crafts show, a parade, live entertainment, and other “ole time” activities like greased pig contests, sack rages and apple bobbing.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Butler had a population of 1,907 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 14.0%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.