City of Buckhead
|Address||P.O. Box 38
Buckhead, Georgia 30625-0038
Buckhead, originally distributed in the land lottery of 1805, is one of the earliest settlements in Morgan County. In 1823 the first post office was established, and in 1824 1.5 acres were deeded to a church for “the worship of God and the promotion of education” by Alexander Fitzpatrick. The present day Methodist Church was built on this site, serving both the Methodist and Baptist Congregations. Morgan County’s first doctor came to Buckhead in 1810 at the age of 21, where he traveled on horseback from Athens to Monticello to administer to his patients.
In 1933 the Georgia Railroad was granted a charter, and the town of Buckhead became a layover spot for the trains, which were not allowed to run on the Sabbath. The town was incorporated in 1887, but it was never recorded. After reapplication, a charter was issued in 1908. At one time, Buckhead had four general stores, a meat market, two drug stores, a cotton buyers’ office, a barber shop, three restaurants, a hotel, a blacksmith’s shop, two corn mills, a livery stable, a cotton gin, and a saw mill. However, like many small towns, things changed with the depression and the boll weevil. It’s a quiet country town now, where some of the descendants of the original settlers still find it a nice place to live. Buckhead is also Morgan County’s access to living on Lake Oconee.