City of Buchanan
|Incorporated||December 22, 1857|
|Address||4828 Highway 120
Buchanan, Georgia 30113
Buchanan, the county seat of Haralson County, was incorporated December 22, 1857. The city received its name in honor of former president James Buchanan.
The Old Haralson County courthouse, built in 1891, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The courthouse, which is a prime example of a public building constructed in the Queen Anne style, is now the home of the local historical society. The clock tower was added in 1897.
Buchanan participates in the Better Hometown Program run by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs. This community development program is a public-private partnership intended to revitalize small communities with populations between 1,000 and 5,000. These cities have access to technical assistance and fiscal resources designed to stimulate downtown revitalization.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Buchanan had a population of 941 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population decrease of -6.7%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.