City of Blakely
|Incorporated||October 24, 1870|
|Address||19 E. Court Square
Blakely, Georgia 31723
Blakely was incorporated October 24, 1870. Blakely, the county seat of Early County, was named for Captain Johnson Blakely of North Carolina, who was lost at sea on the U.S.S. Wasp in the War of 1812.
The Early County courthouse in Blakely was built around 1905 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The City of Blakely is nicknamed “The Peanut Capital of the World” because of the number of peanut products that are produced here.
There is a peanut monument in the Courthouse Square saluting the local peanut production. Kolomoki Mounds Historic Park is located in Blakely. This museum interprets several Indian mounds built by Swift Creek and Weeden Island Indians in the 12th and 13th century. Also in Blakely is the Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge, built in 1891 with a measurement of 96 ft. long and 2 spans wide.
Blakely participates in the Better Hometown Program run by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs. This community development program is a public-private partnership intended to revitalize small communities with populations between 1,000 and 5,000. These cities have access to technical assistance and fiscal resources designed to stimulate downtown revitalization.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Blakely had a population of 5,696 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 1.8%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.