City of Barnesville
|Incorporated||February 20, 1854|
|Address||109 Forsythe Street
Barnesville, Georgia 30204
Barnesville, the county seat for Lamar County, was incorporated February 20, 1854. The city was named for Gideon Barnes, who operated a log house tavern and a stage line between Macon and Columbus.
The Lamar County courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Place and was constructed in 1931.
Other historic sites in Barnesville are the Confederate Cemetery and the Gachet House. The Old Jail Museum, the former jail, features relics from the city’s history.
Before the Civil War, Barnesville flourished as a manufacturer and shipper of buggies, wagons, carts, and hearses. The annual Barnesville Buggy Days is a celebrated festival that takes place the third week of September. This weeklong arts and crafts festival highlights a time in Barnesville history (1880s) when the city was the South’s top producer of horse drawn buggies. Gordon College, a two-year institute, is located in Barnesville.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Barnesville had a population of 5,972 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 25.8%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.