City of Ashburn
|Incorporated||December 26, 1890|
|Address||121 E. Madison Avenue
Ashburn, Georgia 31714
Ashburn, the county seat of Turner County, was incorporated December 26, 1890. The city was named for the early settler W. W. Ashburn, who purchased a portion of the future town site for ten dollars. The city’s original name was Troupville Crossroads.
There are a number of buildings in Ashburn that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Included on the registry are the Turner County courthouse, the Ashburn Heights-Hudson College Avenue areas, Shingler Heights and the Ashburn Commercial District.
Ashburn is also home to the Big Peanut Monument and a Peanut Museum. The monument was created to pay tribute to the peanut processing industry that allows the city to be nicknamed “The Peanut Capital of the World”. The Golden Peanut Company, considered the world’s largest peanut processing plant, has a facility in the heart of the city.
The city hosts the Fire Ant Festival held annually in March. The events include arts and crafts, music, a beauty pageant, a five kilometer run/walk marathon, a carnival, cooking contests and a skydiving exhibition.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Ashburn had a population of 4,419 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population decrease of -8.5%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.