City of Albany
|Incorporated||December 15, 1853|
|Address||222 Pine Avenue
Albany, pronounced “All-ben-ny” or “Al-bain-ny”, is the county seat of Dougherty County and obtained its charter December 27, 1838.
The Creek Indians first inhabited the Albany area and referred to their home along the Flint River as “Thronateeska” meaning “the place where the flint is picked up” – hence the name “Flint River.” The city was founded by Nelson Tift in 1836 and was established as a place for trade along the Flint River. However, steamboat navigation proved to be irregular and Albany became a rail center by the turn of the nineteenth century.