In Their Own Words
August 23, 1753
Early Visit to Cumberland Island
Jonathan Bryan briefly described Cumberland Island, and mentioned its role in early Georgia history:
“…in the Morning went down the Sound to Cumberland Island, this is a fine high Island about twenty two Miles long, and three or four Miles wide, it is Separated from the Main by Rivers and Marshes, about two or three Miles distant from the Main Land. On this Island General Oglethorpe, built a Fort, about two miles from the North End to secure the Inland Passage, and two of the companies belonging to the Regiment were lodged there, and a good many of the Soldiers who had Familys were settled in a Village on the Side of a Creek, which runs into the Island. and towards the South End of the Island, were Setled about twenty Familys whose Plantations are now all deserted and left desolate, so that there is not an Inhabitant on the Island…”
Source: Virginia Steele Wood and Mary R. Bullard, editors, Journal of a Visit to the Georgia Islands of St. Catherines, Green, Ossabaw, Sapelo, St. Simons, Jekyll, and Cumberland, with Comments on the Florida Islands of Amelia, Talbot, and St. George, in 1753. Mercer University Press, in association with The Georgia Historical Society, 1996, p. 28.