This Day in Georgia History
December 23, 1936
Ocmulgee National Monument Established
FDR signed a presidential proclamation establishing the Ocmulgee National Monument in Macon, Georgia. Located across the Flint River from downtown Macon, the site had been inhabited by prehistoric Indians for thousands of years. Here, around 1,000 A.D., Mississippian Indians built several large earthen mounds. In 1934, Congress had authorized creation of the Ocmulgee National Monument to consist of 2,000 acres of land. However, because of the Great Depression, the legislation stipulated that no federal funds could be used to purchase land. Instead, land for the monument was to be acquired by donation. The expectation of donated lands was not realized, so FDR signed a proclamation on Dec. 23, 1936, authorizing the purchase of 678 acres of land for the monument.