Calendar
Jan January
Feb February
Mar March
Apr April
May May
Jun June
Jul July
Aug August
Sep September
Oct October
Nov November
Dec December

This Day in Georgia History

October 14, 1942

Air Depot Renamed

The U.S. War Department renamed the Wellston Air Depot in Houston County the Warner Robins Army Air Depot. The name change honored the late Brigadier General Augustine Warner Robins, who had been a friend and mentor of the Wellston Air Depot’s commander, Col. Charles Thomas. Robins, born in 1882, graduated from West Point in 1907 and was assigned to Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, where he served in the cavalry. In 1917, he left the cavalry for the Army Air Corps, where he became a pilot in 1918. In 1939, Robins became commandant of the Air Corps Training Center at Randolph Field in San Antonio, Texas. It was here he died on June 16, 1940.