This Day in Georgia History
October 06, 1953
Columbus’ First Television Station
WTVM-TV became Columbus, Georgia’s first television station. Allen Woodall Sr., owner of WDAK Radio joined in a partnership with Martin Theatres to start WDAK-TV on Channel 28. In 1956, Martin Theatres became the station’s sole owner and changed its call letters to WTVM-TV, which stands for TeleVision Martin. The station was changed from UHF channel 28 to VHF channel 9 to reach a larger audience.