Calendar
Jan January
Feb February
Mar March
Apr April
May May
Jun June
Jul July
Aug August
Sep September
Oct October
Nov November
Dec December

This Day in Georgia History

October 04, 1870

Oglethorpe University Opened

Oglethorpe University opened in downtown Atlanta. The school had a faculty of five professors, plus three teachers at its high school. Additionally, Oglethorpe had a separate law school with six instructors, and there were plans to open a medical school, a civil engineering school, and a business college. Originally, Oglethorpe University opened as a Presbyterian school in January 1838 near Milledgeville in Baldwin County. After the Civil War broke out, the school closed. Unable to reopen immediately, university trustees voted in 1869 to move Oglethorpe University to downtown Atlanta. However, after only two years of operation, the Presbyterian Synod of Georgia ordered Oglethorpe closed at the end of fall term of 1872 because of financial difficulties.