Calendar
Jan January
Feb February
Mar March
Apr April
May May
Jun June
Jul July
Aug August
Sep September
Oct October
Nov November
Dec December

This Day in Georgia History

September 24, 1889

Decatur Female Seminary Opened

In Decatur, Ga., the Decatur Female Seminary opened in a rented three-story house that faced the Georgia Railroad. Founded by Frank H. Gaines [see July 25, 1852 entry] the initial student body consisted of 60 young women, 3 of whom were boarders. The next year, Col. George Scott offered to fund a permanent home for the seminary. In 1891, in recognition of Scott’s $112,500 cash gift, the Presbyterian Synod of Georgia renamed the seminary Agnes Scott Institute in honor of Scott’s mother - Agnes Scott. The school was chartered as Agnes Scott College in 1906 and went on to become of the premier women’s institutions of higher education in the country.