This Day in Georgia History
August 20, 1906
Money Appropriated for Oglethorpe and Gordon Statues
Gov. Joseph Terrell signed a joint resolution of the General Assembly appropriating $15,000 for erection of a statue of Georgia founder James Oglethorpe in Savannah. According to the resolution, $7,500 would be appropriated in 1907, and $7,500 in 1908 - provided that the Oglethorpe Monument Association was able to raise at least $5,000. The monument was completed and dedicated on Nov. 23, 1910. Gov. Terrell also signed an act appropriating $15,000 for an equestrian statue of John B. Gordon to be placed on the capitol grounds.