This Day in Georgia History
August 07, 1958
Wagon Train Delivered Gold to Atlanta
The caravan of seven covered wagons from Dahlonega pulled out of Piedmont Park at 9 a.m. headed for Georgia’s state capitol. Arriving an hour later, two women from the wagon train carried carried a chest originally owned by William Few up the steps of the capitol. In the chest were 43 ounces of gold nuggets and dust. In ceremonies outside the capitol, they presented the chest of gold to Gov. Marvin Griffin. Subsequently, the nuggets and dust were milled into thin gold leaf to cover the state capitol dome.