This Day in Georgia History
July 03, 1889
Legislature Met at Kimball Opera House for Last Time
Members of the Georgia General Assembly assembled at the Georgia state capitol (located at the corner of Marietta and Forsyth streets and built as the Kimball Opera House) for the last time. The opera house had served as state capitol since January 1869, but need for a larger facility led the legislature to authorize a new statehouse in the early 1880s. Construction of the new capitol began in 1885 on the site of the former Atlanta City Hall/Fulton County Court House. Now, the day before the new capitol’s formal dedication, lawmakers marched as a group from the Kimball Opera House to inspect Georgia’s new capitol (which continues in use today).